April 12, 2010

Coco goes cable



It's official: Conan O'Brien is going to cable, joining TBS for an 11 pm ET show beginning in November. Get ready for numerous promos during TBS' coverage of the baseball playoffs in October (although for once, I'll actually watch one of these TBS shows).

Conan wrote the following on his Twitter page:

"The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show."

It had been thought Coco (a nickname bestowed upon him by Tom Hanks) would go to Fox but for whatever reason that deal didn't come together. I will be watching Conan on TBS and will continue to watch Letterman on CBS (both will be via DVR, most likely, given other life factors) and will continue to ignore Jay Leno as much as possible. I continue to hope that one day Leno's rating will sink to ridiculously low depths. Like, hopefully tonight.

Here's hoping Conan brings Max Weinberg and Andy Richter to TBS with him.

UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that it is a five-year deal and that Conan will have ownership of the show as opposed to being the host of a show owned by the network. Thus, if he wishes he can take the show with him to another network if things don't work out with TBS. Also, the show airing at 11 pm forces George Lopez out of his timeslot and to midnight. Unlike Conan, who refused to option of moving The Tonight Show to midnight in order to facilitate that weasel Leno's return to 11:30, Lopez is said to have no problem with the move and is happy to have Conan on board with TBS. Plus, I have no idea what TBS' current lead-in to Lopez is but I'm sure it isn't anywhere near as strong as Conan will be, and Lopez has to be thrilled about that.

Worth noting that Conan is bumping Lopez, much like Leno was supposed to bump him, but I won't fault Conan because A) the move has Lopez's blessing and B) I like Conan and hate that weasel Leno.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: A perusal of my DirecTV on-screen guide tells me that the current lead-in for Lopez is Sex and the City reruns. Blecch.

No comments:

Post a Comment