April 30, 2010

And the Favre drama begins


Brett Favre has done a nice job this season of staying quiet, not prematurely retiring only to change his mind.

Well, that's all over now. ESPN's Ed Werder reports that in order to play in 2010, Favre will need ankle surgery. He was injured during the NFC Championship loss to the Saints, presumably on the low Bobby McCray hit that inexplicably wasn't flagged under the Tom Brady rule. Wrote Favre in an e-mail to Werder:

"To play again, I would need the surgery, as I suspected. This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff. One year truly felt like 10 -- much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a sense of belonging."

And with that, the drama begins. Favre, you'll recall, was in the same position last year and decided to have surgery on his shoulder. So I'm sure we'll be hearing news on this every day from now until mid-August. Rachel Nichols may as well start camping out on Favre's lawn in Mississippi now.

No comments:

Post a Comment